[Rhodes22-list] Roller Furling Question

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sat Sep 15 09:37:16 EDT 2007

Dan,
Stay with Stan's furling system if you are getting the 175 and won't be
changing out sails. If you are thinking of carrying several sails, go with the
CDI. My furler is 18 years old and has been rock solid.
My stereo speakers are mounted on the lower face of the  lazzerette facing
forward. I mounted mine slightly under the seats. This  way they don't get
kicked and still provide good sound. Marine speakers are  built for this wet
environment and don't get anything rated less than 150 watts.  My CD stereo is
mounted on the cabin ceiling on the starboard side above the  frig. I put mine into
a waterproof gimble mount and then attached the VHF to the  bottom of the
gimble mount. Again, get a marine stereo as they will take the  salt and humidity
better. Expect a life of around five years for both. I had to  replace my
speakers this year because I blew them out. I'm not sure, but I  believe the
cleaner that I use to clean the topsides ate away the speaker  material. Spending
the money on a good system is definitely worth it.
Attached are two photo's of my installation.

Rummy