[Rhodes22-list] Must Have / Like to Have / Boom Room

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Wed Sep 19 17:17:09 EDT 2007

Hail Caesar!

MUST HAVE:

5.  Motor Steering linkage:  Greatest thing since canned beer.  If you
don't have it, don't expect to be able to steer with the outboard;
you'll need to use the tiller.

8. Bulkhead Compass:  You'll want your compass in a convenient,
easy-to-read location.  I use it primarily to keep from wandering off
course and thus prevent sail adjustments.

9. In Hull Depth Finder:  Relieves worries about running aground.  Let's
you sail in shallow areas, primarily near shorelines.  Running aground
may not hurt your hull/centerboard, but it'll knock the bottompaint off.

LIKE TO HAVE:

1. Battened main sail:  With all the adjustments you can make, this is
just one more small one that in reality you will rarely use to slightly
improve your speed/direction.

3. Diamond Board:  With all the adjustments you can make, this is just
one more small one that in reality you will rarely use to slightly
improve your speed/direction.

4. 175 Genoa:  Love my 175, but with all the adjustments you can make,
this is just one more small one that in reality you will rarely use to
slightly improve your speed/direction.

6.  Mast Head Antenna:  Most people will think this is a necessity.  I
have yet to sail out of cell phone range.

7.  VHF Radio:  Most people will think this is a necessity.  I have yet
to sail out of cell phone range.  Not a requirement for a 22'.  However,
an expensive hand-held is well worth the peace of mind.

10. New Design Boom Room instead of Bimini:  Definitely would like one,
but since I'm a daysailor, I'd probably rarely use it.  On the other
hand, I do use the bimini and think you might want to put it on your
MUST HAVE list, especially for the price.

11. Marine Head:  If you normally sail with a woman, this is her
decision, not yours.  As a guy, this wouldn't be on my MUST HAVE or LIKE
TO HAVE list.  Ain't worth the hassle.

12.  Hiking Seats:  I didn't get them on my 1986 recycled boat because
of the cost of replacing the stern rail.  If you have the new stern
rail, it's a relatively inexpensive option.  Only downside I can think
of is that they take up space in and out of use.  I certainly haven't
missed them but they seem like an option worth getting for the price.

13. Wells for 2 Batteries:  I think you already have spaces for two
batteries.  I have two batteries but it's overkill for me since I only
use them to start my outboard and run the depthfinder, and I have two
solar panels.

14.  Boom Room:  See #10 above.

15. seat & Cockpit Filler Cushions:  Definitely nice to have.  The seats
are surprisingly comfortable without the cushions.  I stand a lot and
sometimes don't bother to put them out if I'm by myself.  They aren't
cheap but I think they're worth it.

In case you're thinking about a standard mainsail, I highly recommend
getting the in-mast furler.  I'd also recommend getting a hand-held GPS
with a display that is large enough to read from a distance, just to
check your speed.  DO NOT get an in-water speed wheel; they break
quickly.  I have a hand-held anenometer to check wind speed.  Most
people have wind vanes at the top of their mast.  They're hard to see
(neck pain) and eventually break.  Tell-tales on the shrouds are cheap
and work great.  Never leave the slip without adequate rations,
primarily Mt. Gay rum.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease