[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stays & varnish

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Sep 21 10:42:47 EDT 2007

Wow, are you the only one adjusting your stays? I ask because it
sounds a lot like what someone on this list experienced a number of
years ago and IIRC the cause was determined to be excess twist.
However your comment about signs of rust seems to indicate it was
just age. If your rigging wasn't new when your boat was recycled
there's probably no way to determine how old the rigging might be.
And your loose stays might have something to do with that. Also look
for compression of the cabintop mast step (fiberglass indentation
around the tabernacle) or compression under the compression post in the cabin.

I do think raising and lowering the mast with all of the additional
manipulation of the loose stays is harder on the stays. We had one
strand let go a year or so ago on a lower and decided at that time to
replace all of the lowers and the shrouds. We'll replace the forestay
when we replace the furler probably within the next year or two. Our
rigging was not new when Fretless was recycled in 1998.

We have a starboard companionway hatch so no help there but we use
regular varnish on the tiller. I like the way it looks and feels. We
keep it covered when not in use so it holds up very well.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD