[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stays & varnish

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Sep 21 11:18:00 EDT 2007

Jim,

In 9 years, I recall only one single failed stay.  There have been some with
some wire breaking.  I had one wire break and sent to General Boats.  They
sent a new the correct size.

The comment about rust is interesting, but then aren't you on salt water?

I would choose either Stan or other known quality stay maker.  In addition
to Stan, I have other experience with JSI Rigging of St.Petersburg, FL.
http://www.newjsi.com/rigging.aspx
You send them the damaged stay and they reproduce it new at a fair price and
good turnaround time.

When you get the new set, wax before installing.

There have been others who even put the next size up wire on new stays, just
a thought.  But you cannot do that if you have Stan's furler.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"It is not an American belief that free government is inevitable, only that
it is possible, and that its possibility can be realized only when the
people as a whole are inwardly governed by the recognized imperatives of the
universal moral law."  John Courtney Murray