[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stays & varnish

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Fri Sep 21 11:56:12 EDT 2007

I have never heard of wasing the stays, even on salt water.  Since the wax
will not prevent corrosion within the fitting, it seems to be a waste of
time.  It will probably keep the fittings looking like new, even if the wire
is failing.

Most PREMATURE STAY FAILURES are due to improper handling (excessive
twisting, kinking, etc.), overtensioning when rigging, or poor quality
control during manufacture (knicking during swaging.)  A good manufacturer
will also coat the wire before swaging to prevent oxidation within the
fitting, a common point of failure.

I have several original stays and a few that have been replaced over the 26
years.  I can recall seeing a knick at the base of the wire/fitting
interface and over a few years a single strand frayed.  As soon as it was
broken, the stay was replaced, without question.  Carefull and regular
inspection of at least the lower fittings whould be part of your sailing
(daily or weekly) maintenance.  No, I do not use turnbuckle covers, which
tend to hide the warning signs.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY