[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stays & varnish

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Fri Sep 21 18:32:54 EDT 2007

I won't swear that I inspected the swages religiously every time before I
set sail, but the damage was not apparent two weeks ago and suddenly became
painfully obvious (pun intended, I got a stainless splinter).  I'll try and
get a photo this weekend.  Real horror show.

I doubt the stays were too tight this season.  They might have even been a
bit loose, but not enough for shock loads to damage the wire, I would guess.
The mast step looks fine to me.

Last boat, I replaced all stays, some at least were OEM stays at about age
of 31 years.  The wire was fine, I didn't like the closed turnbuckles.

Is Stan's mast-raising system that uses a bail on the mast interchangeable
with the one (I have) that uses aft lowers?

Jim Connolly