[Rhodes22-list] Thanks Respondents to Must Have Like to Have Lists

Caesar Paul caesarpaul01 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 21:32:27 EDT 2007

Rhodes List Sailors,

  I hope the founder/s of this list are still in the community and are enjoying the way it is serving not only sailors with various degrees of experience, but also land lubbers like me who are aspiring to join the sailing fraternity.

  It is fun and helpful to read of the experiences of others, whether it their first sail with their first boat, or whether its a seasoned sailor doing it for the thousandth time.

  Thank you all for your thoughtful and thorough responses to me and others that you have never met.  I would like to single out "Tootle" Ekroposki for a special thank you for his brisk and sometimes mildly abrasive responses, for I see and enjoy the humor and good heartedness of the man behind the tangy responses.

  David:
  I appreciate your thoughts on the boom room; the more prudent thing for me might be to get on the water and discover if I need it.   That takes care of the cockpit filler cushions for now as well.  I know my family and I will need shade while spending time in open water.

  You will be sure to hear from me when next I'm coming to Seattle, even we cannot do a sail.

  Hail Leland!
  I like your strong endorsement of the Motor Steering Linkage; I saw it in operation on David Bradley's boat.  It allows one to motor along in ease and comfort in open water, but it allows you to do so safely in tight situations, and is a less intimidating operation for ones first mate.

  Where on a Rhodes is a convenient and easy to read location for the bulkhead compass?

  Stan said on his website, that when on the water you discover that urge to catch that boat ahead of you, or distance yourself from that one at the side of you.  I have felt that urge on someone else's boat, and I suspect that I feel it more so on my own boat.  Rummy thinks the battened main sail and the diamond board help to satisfy that urge.  I will however, stay away from the speed wheel.  Thanks man.

  Mary Lou Troy:

  You did a great job communicating the capabilities of the Rhodes 22 in the book "Sailing Small."   You may be pleased to know that I bought the book for the singular reason of reading your take on the boat in chapter 5, "Learning to Cruise," and I am not the only one to have done so.  I refer to that chapter often, and I will ensure that my wife reads it before we visit Stan next month.

  I am to become up to speed with the different types of furlers, but I know this much; I want a setup that allows me to sail in light air, and I noted that you resolved that situation with a UPS.  I will file that fact away.

  I will go with the consensus that the mast head antenna setup give one communication options that can, and have save lives.

  People pay attention to your responses.  Keep giving them.

  Rummy:

  You are another colorful character and valuable contributor to this list.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us all.  It is helpful to know that you have used the battened mail sail  and finds that all things being equal, you will surely pull away  from  someone.  I also like what I read about the diamond board.

  I too would like to see, and to be seen at night, and a battery, or power dedicated to that purpose cannot be faulted.

  Elle:

  I will look into the VHF with Digital Selective Calling that you mentioned.

  You all have down much to help me in the decisions that I have to make, and thanks to you, I am more prepared now to make them, than when I began.

  I will continue to look to the list and learn.

  Until later
  Caesar