[Rhodes22-list] Captain Kuhn, a reply

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Sep 23 11:17:33 EDT 2007

Lee said, "So what the heck is that hangy down cord?  Some mainsails have a
leech
line/cord you can use to tighten the leech.  Is this a foot cord? "

Yes, I think the correct terminology is foot line.  It appears to be a
relative of the Leech Line and Luff Line.  Now if you can find good
directions for their uses, and not he said she said, please post same.  Also
if you can find pictures of how to fasten or tighten and fasten please post.

The best that I can find is tie them off to the nearest grommet.  But what
kind of knot or device is the best to do so?

I can find that on a main sail the leech line is use to control flutter, but
cannot find how to use foot lines in any of my books on sails and sail
techniques.

Lee, now it is your turn.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong
man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The
credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred
by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short
again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings;
but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm,
the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best
knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he
fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never
be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
Theodore Roosevelt