[Rhodes22-list] High thrust engine-transom

ASNOOCH at aol.com ASNOOCH at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 17:53:16 EDT 2007

I too have an 82 Rhodes 22. Perhaps I can give you some insight via my
experience.  I have a 2 stroke 8 hp Mercury with electric start, with a  garlick
lifting and tilt mount. What I would consider adequate for the tight  marina
maneuvers required in my area. While out sailing in Long Island Sound, I  was
caught in the multiple wakes of two racing cigarrettes coming through Plum  Gut .
I was not in the Gut, and under full sail at the time. Prior to the
encounter the wave action was less than a foot. My outboard was raised and  tilted .
After several minutes of pounding in the now highly "modified" wave  action...
the fiberglass gave way.. the entire motor mount with it's four large  bolts
came out with the fibreglass and minimal backing.  Jury rig time....  down with
main, line on from boom to engine, along with safety line. tension on
topping lift, and call friend in area to follow me back to my dock under power  of
my genoa.... Needless to say I was glad to be dockside. Dockside inspection
revealed my need to reinforce less than a 1/4 inch of fibreglass and less than a
 half inch of wood backing.  I repaired the stern by first repairing the now
gaping hole, fortunately above the waterline. My fibreglass repair brought
the  thickness up to over 1/2 inch, plus more than double the backing. On the
outside  of the stern, was cut a 1/4 inch aluminum plate in the shape of the
stern, to  which I attached sacrificial metal plates , and both epoxy and bolted
the plate  to the stern.  On several Rhodes 22s of my vintage, I have examined
the  stern under similar power and have watched the fibreglass flex in both
forward  and reverse, too a degree that I found uncomfortable.  However, I am
not an  engineer. Hopefully some of those vintage Rhodes 22s had more "meat" in
the  stern. The force of that hanging motor and the pounding sea.... was just
 too much for my ship.  Now, my ship's stern is perhaps the strongest area
of the ship. No movement is exhibited with full power . I have experienced
pounding seas since that day without a repeat performance. I would suggest  you
carefully determine sterns strength.. Does it wobble back and forth as you
apply power, or change direction ? Is your motor mount secure and well backed ?

Burt
Golden Snooch , 82 Rhodes...
Southold, New York.