[Rhodes22-list] Failed Stay update

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 15:33:21 EDT 2007

After a work day Friday and the usual hectic Saturday, I finally turned my
attention to the boat this afternoon.  I was more than a bit shocked to find
THREE failed lower stays, not two.  Both the aft lowers were failed with the
core fractured just below the top of the socket and at least half the jacket
wires gone.  The core wires were also dull gray-brown color, unlike the
still shiny jacket.

I can assure you that the port aft lower *appeared* fine on Thursday before
I relied upon it and its mostly broken starboard stay to lower the mast.  I
also looked at it later before hitting the road.

Some photos attached.  Close-up shows core with two jacket wires held by my
thumb.

I was going to raise the mast in my driveway to investigate a possible
problem with the jib halliard on my FF2.  I am more than a bit worried about
doing it now.

Has anyone switched from Stan's mast-raising system using the aft lowers to
the one that used a bail on the mast?  What would be involved?

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03