[Rhodes22-list] High thrust engine-transom

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Sep 24 09:50:59 EDT 2007

Burt,
it seems that in the discussions of motors we always seem to divide
up into several camps.

There are those who have a Rhodes 22 sailboat who sail off their
moorings or motor out of their slip and then go sailing.

Then there are those who back out of the slip to go somewhere. That's
us. While we daysail, we also do a fair amount of cruising with
friends. There may be no wind or the wind is on the nose with 3 ft
waves and it's 30 miles to home or you may have to navigate a long
channel with 3-4 knot currents and a drawbridge in the middle.  We
may be off to meet someone in Annapolis or St. Michaels or have to
get home after a couple of days of good sailing. It's a very
powerboat-like use of a sailboat. The nice thing about the Rhodes 22
is that it's a great sailboat that also motors very well. We had a
nice Yamaha 2 stroke 4 hp on our Com-pac 16. I would not have trusted
that motor to get the Rhodes under the Bay Bridge with a knot or 2 of
current and 18 knots of wind on the nose coming home from Annapolis
in May. The 8 hp motor did just fine. The lighter weight of a 2
stroke is tempting but if you are going to put in 5 or 6 hours of
motoring, a four-stroke makes for a much quieter ride. Unfortunately
we couldn't find a lighter weight 2 stroke 4 hp engine that had
electric start and an easy freshwater flush.

Mary Lou
1991 Rhodes 22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD