[Rhodes22-list] My First Real Look

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:57:20 EDT 2007

Michael,
Can't answer all your questions, but here is what I can offer.

The line on my centerboard was replaced by PO and is thicker that the
original.  I have to work mine a bit to get it to fully drop.  Maybe it's
just gunked up a bit.  Might be able to grab it from below and pull it down.

> 2. Centerboard not dropping down easily, need to fish it down. I
> thought my buddy did this and only realized when I double checked it
> went down that much further. I suppose it needs to be taken apart to
> check for debris/gunk.

There is a clutch that goes on the rudder that a line runs through that
holds the rudder down.  I'll try to take a picture of mine next time I'm
out, but it's just a cam cleat.

> 4. Rudder. Need a clutch widget to secure rudder in the down position
> and in the up position. Rudder kept on coming up. The previous owner
> had a piece of wood in place that just easilly broke off. Now all I
> see are two screws w/ 1 wing nut on one of them. Is there a more
> effective solution? I asked this question to Stan and he quoted $100,
> I wonder what I would get?

Batteries are in various locations on these boats.  Mine is under the
settee.  Some are in under the v-berths.  I don't have any 120v outlets
either but have not needed them.  should be able to get 12v stuff for your
needs.  A deep cycle battery from an auto parts store is fine.  I got a
marine battery from my local store.  I use a small solar panel to keep my
battery charged which suits my limited needs (day sailing only).

> 6. No 120v electrical outlets - was it not available in 1987?
> Previous owner also has never installed a battery. The only
> connections I see are under the v-berths - a grey electrical cable (14
> ga?). Does black go w/ red? I hear about AGM but will a deep cycle
> battery be good enough? My needs are simple, for now...exterior
> lights, interior lights, water pump, planned VHF radio  purchase &
> stereo. I see a battery box at WM which I plan to use to secure the
> battery on the 2 pieces of wood in front of the water tank. I also
> noticed a two-wires (one fused) coming out of the water pump I suppose
> this connects directly to the battery or does it go to the elec panel.

I sit on either cockpit seat that happens to provide the better visibility
or balance depending on where the rest of my crew sits.

> 7. What's a comfortable sitting position when on the helm? Couldn't
> sit in the back next to tiller facing forward. Main sheet traveler
> hits my shoulder. Otherwise, possibly need a hiking stick to reach
> tiller when facing port/starboard. Stan quoted a hiking stick w/
> coaming boxes for $175. Looks like the most comfortable position is
> next to the stern rail. I suppose Stan's version of the catbird seat
> would be worthwhile..is it?

Rummy recently posted his CD player mount.  Your radio could be mounted
similarly.  I just use a handheld radio, but then my sailing is limited to
inland lakes.
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20070921/92b7c380/attachment.jpg

And for the wiring for the antenna lead, Jim posted these photos of his
stays, but if you look at this one, you can see the connector for the mast
electical wiring (4 hole connector at lower right) and the antenna lead
connector (at right near stay).
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20070923/b0bd41c7/attachment-0002.jpg