[Rhodes22-list] Removing motor for repair

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 25 04:23:46 EDT 2007

Jim/Kathy,
Just on  along shot, I had similar symptoms on my Yamaha 9.9 last
year-ok in idle, but choked when throttled. My local dealer
immediately pegged my symptoms as the Ethanol curse. Ethanol when
mixed with old gas or even old gas can suspend dirt, etc. that laid
on the bottom of the can, or moisture in the gas. It was never a
problem, until they started mixing old and new. Changing the fuel
filter may in fact help, and trying a good carburetor cleaner can't
hurt.

My dealer knowing the weight problem, had me remove the carburetor. I
thought it would be like "heart surgery" on a friend, but in 15
minutes he walked me through it with the right tools it was done. The
fuel feed lines needed to be flushed. For security, he recommended
the fuel tank be dumped and flushed. I carry an extra fuel filter,
but Yamaha's "Ring-Free" additive they say is crucial with Ethanol. I
have well over  60 hours since on the motor with no problems and
solid performance, even offshore where it's survival mode.

Otherwise, I've put it in a slip (or next to a dock), stern-first.
I've used a piling to tie off the motor as a backup (to prevent it
from dropping), and created a 2-person pull rope with one person in
the boat to guide and release it from the mount. There are also web
snap-on handles/straps that West Marine and other sell for lifting
outboards for about $25. Setting it down correctly and not letting
the lower unit rise above the head are SOP.

Good luck