[Rhodes22-list] Removing motor for repair

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Sep 25 11:06:34 EDT 2007

Mary Lou, Jim & Kathy, et al.:

The following is a Field Expedient Engineering crane,
and has worked for lifting outboards off the transom
and bringing them into the cockpit for repair.

I have not used it on a R22, so it would be a good
idea to have Stan's OK before proceeding.  You need
to know that the gooseneck on the boom and other
rigging can handle the compressive loads that this
method can exert.

Wouldn't hurt to have a gander at your stays, either.

Note that the mast tabernacle is also subjected to
lateral forces, up to the weight of the motor.

* Rig a boom extension lashing the extension in place
with sheet line, so that it can slide along the boom
but not fold back on the boom.  A STRONG boat hook,
oar, or whisker pole would probably suffice for the
extension spar.

* Attach your outhaul to the mast end of the extension
so that it can be eased back toward the mast under
control.  The compressive force on the end of the
extension may be as much as 100% of the weight of the
lifted object.  You might consider adding to the end
of the outhaul so that it could be led around the mast
to a winch and cleated off.

* Attach your topping lift to the end of the extension.
The topping lift will take the full weight of the motor,
plus about 50%, so secure it well.  Run the available
end around a winch and cleat it off.

* Rig a handy billy (small block and tackle) to the end
of the boom extension.  A boom vang will often do the
job.  Use anything that will give a 4:1 mechanical
advantage.

* Rig a sling around the head of the motor such that it
cannot slip off.  Set it up so that the attachment
point is over the motor's center of gravity.

* Assume that some part of the jury rig crane will fail,
and attach a strong safety line to the motor and the
boat.

* Using the topping lift and outhaul, adjust the boom so
that the outer end of the extension is positioned
directly over the motor sling attachment point, high
enough so that the handy billy can lift the motor over
the transom, rail, etc.

* Loosen the motor mounts and lift the motor using the
handy billy.

To bring the motor into cockpit:

* Ease off on the outhaul, allowing the motor to move
toward the mast, OR take up on the topping lift to
raise the boom, moving the motor inboard.

* Ease off on the handy billy, lowering the motor into
the cockpit.

To swing over onto a dock:

* Bring the boat up to the dock so that it is port
side to the dock.  This will avoid interference with
the backstays.

* Keep an eye on the gooseneck!  It will be under
lateral stress during this maneuver.

* Secure the motor safety line to the dock side of the
transom, with enough slack to allow the motor to be
swung over to the stand waiting on the dock.

* Attach two control lines to the end of the boom -
one for the person in the boat, and the other for the
person on the dock.

* While the person in the boat pays out that end of
the control line, the person on the dock carefully
takes up on the dock end.  As the motor (assume 100
lbs) swings out over the side, the boat will tend to
list some in that direction, so control IS required.

* Watch the gooseneck.  Yeah, I said this before, but
it bears repeating.  This exercise exerts abnormal
loads on it.

This procedure allows moving a 100 lb motor with no
more than 25 lbs of effort required of the crew.

/Robert