[Rhodes22-list] Stuck Jib line

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Thu Sep 27 14:34:47 EDT 2007

At 02:14 PM 9/27/2007 -0400, Michael D. Weisner wrote:
>I am surprised at your response!  Use both hands?  And spill your drink?
>There must be a better solution to the problem, after all, we are talking
>about "single-handed" sailing, aren't we?

I pondered this very same problem earlier in the year.  While Sir
Rummy is correct - furling works better with both lines tensioned -
for those times when you can't do that (see above), I routed the
furling line as seen in this photo -

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20070731/11184808/attachment.jpg

Running the furling line thru a padeye on the stanchion feeds it onto
the furling drum at a better angle.  It can still get tangled if the
line is completely slack and flailing around, but most times it tends
itself pretty well.

Cheers!

John Lock