[Rhodes22-list] Removing motor for repair

James Barron jbarron1 at cinci.rr.com
Thu Sep 27 18:26:14 EDT 2007

Many thanks to all who responded to our question about getting one of the
larger outboards off our boat for repair.

JB, Mary Lou, Jay, Robert, and Alan--all of you had useful advice.  As a
result:

1.  Since I do not know the history of care for my seven year old motor, I
am going to have it fully serviced and winterized this fall, then follow
the detailed advice provided by Jay to keep the carb in good shape.  Much
of that advice is not in the manual.

2.  For this year I found a dealer who will work on the motor without my
taking it off the boat, and I will trailer it in to him.

3.  I am probably going to buy an outboard cart.  For next winter,  I may
rig a hoist to my garage ceiling to get the motor from the transom to the
cart, but will need to do some measuring to find out the height when the
boat is on the trailer.  If that does not work, I know of a launching ramp
that has a tall mast crane ( I suspect there is another name for this), and
it would work for the motor also. It is a three hour drive, though, to get
there and back.

4.  If I ever have to take the motor off during the season, I will find or
pay several large people to help me.  I am afraid of damaging the mast/boom
rigging even to use it as a safety line.

I thought there might be some secret easy way to do this, but I dislike
"asking for directions."  I am sure one of these will work.  Thanks again.

Jim Barron