[Rhodes22-list] Electronics

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Tue Apr 1 20:32:38 EDT 2008

I second MaryLou's motion on the mast mounted VHF if you're going to do
any coastal or Great Lakes sailing.  As for the compass, though, I haven't
looked at it since getting a hand-held GPS years ago.  If will do
significat single handed sailing, an auto helm is invaluable, especially
with remote control.
> Tom,
> I am one of the people
that disagrees with Stan and Lee on the VHF.
> It may depend
somewhat on your situation. We sail on the Chesapeake
> where
there are a lot of other boaters. If some issues a Mayday, a

Pan-pan or Securite call they do that over VHF. If you need to issue
> a Mayday and you call the Coast Guard on your cell phone they will

> hear you but other boaters in the area (who may be much closer
than
> the CG) will not. You may not need to deal with bridges or
commercial
> shipping. We do and I find it easier to call a
bridge tender on VHF.
> You can call them on the phone but you
need to have a separate number
> for each bridge. You generally
cannot contact the bridge of a
> commerical vessel by cell but
you can with VHF. A handheld will work.
> We used one for years
before adding the masthead antenna because we
> liked the added
range - particularly for picking up messages from
> other people
with handhelds. And as Lee said you can use it for
> weather
forecasts. That said if we are on the Bay on a busy weekend,

the radio is usually off unless we need it. There is just too much
> traffic.
>
> We use a transom mount type
fishfinder for depth (not permanently
> mounted) and a bulkhead
compass mounted on a board in the
> companionway. We seem to have
have an unreasonable aversion to

3/31/2008, you wrote:

>>Tom,
>>
>>I might want to take you up on sailing the Big Assawoman. The
invitation
>> is
>>also open for Kent Island if
you want to get some Rhodes sailing before
>> your
>>boat arrives.
>>
>>Lost of people will
disagree, but I'd take Stan's advice on the VHF. I
>> have
>>a cheap handheld and only use it for weather forecasts. Once I
used it
>>call the Coast Guard and they told
me to call back on my cell phone.

>>Regarding
your questions, I posted this about a year ago:

>>"I had Stan install a Plastismo Contest 101 in my portside
bulkhead.
>> West
>>Marine's list price is $215,
but they'll normally match any Internet
>> price
>>you can find. I think they sold it to me for about $135 to $140.
I like
>> it
>>because it's two-sided so you can
read it from inside the cabin. I often
>>lock the tiller and
go below to lay down on the settee, not that I'm lazy
>> or

>>anything. It's nice to be able to see the compass to ensure
you don't go
>>off course.
>>
>>Stan
and others will tell you that a depth finder (fish finder) isn't
>>necessary because your centerboard and rudder will tell you when
it gets
>> too
>>shallow. This is proof that even
Stan isn't right all the time. Ask
>> Rose.
use my fish finder all the time. Even if you don't damage your
>>centerboard and rudder by dragging them on the bottom, you'll
certainly
>>knock the bottom paint off of them. I like to sail
close to shore, and
>> it's
>>nice to know when it
starts getting shallow. I had Stan install a
>>Humminbird
Matrix 17 with the temperature/speed accessory on the

starboard
>>side bulkhead. It was about $100. You'll need
transducer paint to keep
>> the
>>speed wheel
turning, and even then it's nowhere nearly as accurate as a

GPS.
>>It will let you know if you're speeding up or slowing
down to help you
>> trim
>>your sails. (Tom: Don't
get a speedwheel. Even with transducer paint
>> it
>>will get marine growth in no time at all.)
>>
>>It cost more to install the instruments than to purchase them,
but Stan's
>>crew did an excellent job. I'm way overpaid and
totally inept, so it
>> would
>>have cost me much
more to do it myself.

>>I haven't ventured far
from the marina and normally try to get in before
>>dark, so I
thought a GPS would be more of a toy than something I really
>>needed, but I would definitely recommend at least getting a
cheap
>> handheld
>>for safety. I use mine to
check my speed more than anything else. I
>> have a
>>Garmin C276, but it mostly depends on how much money you want to
spend.
>>Paper charts are still easier to read. I absolutely
recommend that you
>> do
>>not purchase a Magellan
GPS. I had nothing but nightmares with that
>> company
>>(except that nightmares stop when you wake up).
>>

>>Good luck with your choices!"
>>
>>Lee
>>1986 Rhodes22 At Ease
>>Kent
Island, MD

>>_________________________________________________________________________________________

>> >From Tom:
>>
>>Hi guys,
>>
>>I thought I had a name
picked out ("Mischief II") for the 1999 R22 that

Stan
>>is recycling for me even as I write. But since the hull
will be navy and
>>since I'm "forever in Blue Jeans"
that are baggy and worn at the knees,
>> my
>>wife
suggested "Rag Bag" or "Blue Jeans". It will be one of
the three.
>>Stan has me talked out of a mast antenna and a
cockpit-mounted VHF, since
>>GPS and cell phones work great
for communicating these days.

>>At any rate,
since I'll be sailing mostly in the Big Assawoman Bay (BAB),
>>which is extremely shallow in spots and tends to shoal a bit,
I'm still
>>inclined to go with a depth gauge. And I'm also
inclined to install a
>>wall-mounted compass in the cockpit
area. Does anyone have any thoughts
>> on
>>brands
to look for / stay away from?

>>Thanks.
>>
>>Tom Bickerstaff ("Bick")
>>

>>P.S. I should be "up and running" by the end of
June, so if anybody finds
>>him/herself near Ocean City, MD
and wants to check out the BAB, just let
>> me
>>know.
>>--
context: