[Rhodes22-list] Sandusky Bay

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 22:24:43 EDT 2008

Hi Mark!

Thanks for poking your head up, just as I was thinking about deep Rogering
this list of political clanging gongs.  It's really refreshing to read a
post about sailing from another small boat sailor.  Paul Forester is indeed
a very good sailor, perhaps one of the all time greats up there with
Elvstrom and Melges.   IIRC he's a lake sailor from Texas.  Not many have
sailed at his high level and consistently won for over twenty years.  As I
recall he is a humble man, polite, respectful, disciplined and focused.

Sailing occasionally in the C of C is one of the many benefits of the small
but active Tanzer 16 class.  It's the "big fish, small fishbowl" concept
working in our favor.  I also skippered JY15s in the C of C at Stonington,
CT in 1994 and was scheduled in 2001 to race Cal 20s in Long Beach, but the
local organizers were so scared by 9/11 they cancelled the race that year.
Aging Psychiatrist and Tanzer 16 wonder Ken Whitt often wins the nationals
and goes to C of C every chance he gets.   He's probably attended five
times.

What's the status of you and R22 boat ownership?  Do you have your boat yet?

Raven has only two remaining items on her list:  rebed ports and bottom
paint.   It rained cats last weekend and impeded progress, but it shouldn't
be too much longer before she's in her slip.  If you can afford the gas and
want to discover "down east" NC by water, please visit us at Blackbeard
Sailing Club in New Bern.  You can leave your truck and trailer there and
sail down the river to the mighty Pamlico, Ocracoke and beyond.  Hurricane
season is June to mid October, but there's lots of good sailing before and
after then, as well as in-between hurricanes if you're not in a hurry.

May fair winds follow you!

PT