[Rhodes22-list] questions regarding the Rhodes centerboard.

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Apr 12 15:27:42 EDT 2008

Joe:  You got me thinking.  When my 1986 has been dry-docked up on jack
stands, the front of the keel rested on blocks about a foot off of the
ground, so I was only able to lower the centerboard about a foot.  When the
centerboard is fully retracted up into the keel, the aft end hangs down
about two or three inches.  I assumed the centerboard hung straight down but
I didn't know.  I just went out to the boat and ran a long pole underneath
her and my centerboard does not hang down at a 90 degree angle.  It's
probably at about 75 to 80 degrees.

Bill:  The centerboard line moves exactly 54 inches.  I measured it twice.
Remember that my board hangs down about two to three inches when all the way
up and only goes down to about a 75 to 80 degree angle.

Slim & Bob:  No doubt the centerboard allows you to point higher.  It helps
a little with preventing you from heeling as quickly and from heeling as
much, which might keep you from broaching.  It gives you a little more
control turning under sail and power.  It also creates enough drag to slow
you down significantly under almost all sailing conditions.  Slim made a
good point about pointing.  If you have the same amount of centerboard
surface down in the water, will it have much of an impact on pointing if
it's not hanging straight down?

List:  Is the centerboard designed to hang straight down?  Some centerboards
and fixed keels on other boats don't.

Lee