[Rhodes22-list] 21st Century 'Ernie Pyle"

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Apr 15 13:49:29 EDT 2008

Brad,

I am also pleased and proud of what our forces have
accomplished, and moreover, how they have done so.
We have put our finest in harms way, and they have
conducted themselves like ladies and gentlemen.  The
lapses from the highest standards of behavior that
we could ask for are all the more noteable for their
scarcity.  Yon's work is promising.

I have had no argument with the boots on the ground,
unless they have Blackwater insignia.

That said, I have had and continue to have
reservations about the floating definitions of the
mission(s) that our armed forces have been tasked
with.

I firmly believe that the form of democracy that
grew in the United States requires a couple of
centuries of substrate civilization and tolerance
to grow and find its full expression.

The way in which the free Iraqi codify their use of
that freedom will inevitably be different than the US
Constitution.  For example, it is perfectly
reasonable for them to decide to break up what was an
artificial joining of disparate ethologies.  In any
case, it is their country, and they must be free to
evolve or reshape it as necessary.

The following article, despite its origin on the left
coast, has some meat, as it shows an evolving realism
among the military leaders as they negotiate their
way through the minefield of manifold mission
statements from Bush 43.

It is short, and not so much political as an
interesting glimpse of the current military thinking
about the situation in Iraq.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-petraeus13apr13,1,6444719.story

/Robert
Brad Haslett wrote:

> Michael Yon is at 17 on the list at Amazon today and rising fast (up 250 in
> one week and it hasn't been released yet!).  Trust me, this is not
> propaganda.  Whatever you think of 43 or the war in Iraq, you at least
> should read about the experience and professionalism of our troops and
> especially the Marines.  The photo on the book cover still brings tears to
> my eyes every time I see it (the story behind the photo is sad). Yon was
> banned for awhile by the military for 'calling the shots as he saw them' and
> is as impartial a witness as one can find for this national experience.
>
> Brad
>
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0980076323?ie=UTF8&tag=wwwviolentkicom&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0980076323

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331