[Rhodes22-list] John L and Dana did you see how expensive

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Apr 15 16:40:35 EDT 2008

At 12:37 PM 4/15/2008 -0700, Tootle wrote:

>Did you see how expensive Chris G.'s automatic mast head light is?  Or is
>that just too cheap?

Cheap is one thing... inexpensive is another.  I've used those yard
lights on my path down to the lake.  They seem to last about a year
in my environment.  Either the nicads go bad or the photo-resistor
craps out and they quit working.  They are not "user serviceable", so
throw 'em out and get a new one.  That's easy when you just stick a
peg in the ground.  Not so easy if it's screwed to the top of the mast.

Also, they aren't real bright.  Do they meet the Coast Guard's 2NM
visibility standard?  I rather doubt it.  I can hardly make them out
on the dark shoreline from a mile away.  If you're anchored on a
small inland lake in a protected cove.... who cares?  It's good
enough.  Out in big water with big boat traffic, I would not trust one.

Cheers!

John Lock