[Rhodes22-list] 21st Century 'Ernie Pyle"

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 07:16:57 EDT 2008

Robert,

The argument in a nutshell is this:  is Islam and and a democratic style
government compatible?  We have few successful examples to go by with Turkey
being one of the few useful models.  Great Britain is certainly struggling
with their long term democracy and the assimilation of their Muslim
population. This much is certain, radical Islam isn't compatible with any
civilized government.

I'll leave it to the historians to determine if Bush 43 was justified in
invading Iraq, and for that matter, whether his father Bush 41 was correct
in following the wishes of the coalition he assembled to not press on toward
Baghdad.  We can't put that wine back in the bottle.  The question before us
now is what is the end game?

The New York Times called for an immediate pull-out from Iraq over a year
ago in an editorial and frankly admitted it would result in genocide running
into the millions.  Somehow that was morally acceptable to the writers.
What they didn't address was who would fill the vacuum and what the effect
on the degradation of our power and authority on world affairs would be.  We
needn't speculate on who would fill the vacuum, that already happened.  In
the aftermath of the fall of Saddam and the ill planned and poorly executed
follow-up, al Queda filled the void and we have been paying for it with the
blood of our troops ever since. Can we really just extract ourselves from
Iraq, let events play out as they will, and refuse to re-engage our nation
in the region no matter what occurs? To this observer the answer is clearly
no.

I find it somewhat ironic and amusing (in a perverted sense) that the same
voices who have protested our presence in Iraq are now focusing their
attention on China's presence in Tibet and Darfur. Those issues are beyond
the time and attention-span I have available today (and Tibet is poorly
understood by Westerners) but the situation in Darfur begs a question.
China is essentially engaging in the same policy in Darfur (take the
minerals we want and to hell with whatever else happens) that the protesters
of our Iraqi engagement are advocating.  You can't have it both ways.

Whether the experiment of introducing Western style democracy to the Middle
East will be successful or not is yet to be seen.  The results of
terminating the experiment early are almost a certainty.  Our ability to
retreat to an island fortress will be no more successful in the 21st century
than it was in 20th century.  The United States did not seek out super power
status, it was foisted upon us by world events.  While we make disagree on
how softly we tread and how large a stick to carry, we are the world's
policeman and there are few if any nations capable or desirable to fill that
role.

Our planet faces two huge dilemmas, the allocation and use of scarce
resources and the growth of a toxic ideology. The former will be easier to
solve than the latter and whatever solutions we pursue, China will be the
elephant in the room.

Brad