[Rhodes22-list] Faster than the Wind?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Apr 18 16:43:35 EDT 2008

Just looking for a reality check.

Tiller locked straight.  Full 175 genoa pulled tight.  Board up.  Close
reach.  3.6 knots with an apparent wind of 4.3.  If it's not too windy, on a
close reach I'm satisfied if I can do a little better than half the apparent
wind speed.  If I plug in 45 degrees for the close reach, true wind
calculates to 3.09.  Is that possible?  I know catamarans and huge monohull
racers can sail faster than the wind, but what about our boats?  I thought
maybe I made a mistake on the degrees into the wind, so I used 50 degrees
and still came up with 3.4 knots of true wind.

Great day to be out in a boat that can sail in light winds.  Almost two
hours without touching the tiller in steady winds with no chop.  Almost made
it to Rock Hall before the wind died.  Had enough time to leisurely power
back and discovered that at a slow, quiet pace I could lock the tiller and
keep on course by just shifting my weight every now and then.  Most I've
ever enjoyed powering.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD