[Rhodes22-list] How to Secure Your Home in the Face of Rising Crime Rates

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Sun Apr 20 21:31:47 EDT 2008

Reminds me of a true story, that's almost become legendary in our family
(it's even got a sailing "tie-in" for purists on the list, though it
happened on my O'Day 25).

I'm the father of four daughters (all grown now, and most of my fatherly
defensive duties done). The girls were all pretty familiar with the fun
I'd have with their suitors. This particular evening I had one daughter
and her husband on the boat, and another daughter with her new
boyfriend. We were out on the middle of the lake on a night sail, and
just shooting the breeze. The topic of accidents on various area lakes
came up, which led to the story of a body that had been recently
recovered on another nearby lake with chains wrapped around it.

In a normal conversational tone, I said "that's something. You know, if
you wrap those chains right, the bodies never float back up. And they
definitely don't come back to mess with your daughter again."

The new boyfriend got real quiet. Eventually, the son-in-law and other
daughter started giggling, and the dating daughter explained to her new
boyfriend "That's just my dad, you'll get used to him".