[Rhodes22-list] Could a Dem Answer this For Me?

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:02:44 EDT 2008

Herb, I was prompted by your question to read a bit about the super
delegates. Seems the concept was in response to the conventions where
Humphrey and Carter picked up the nominations after close votes.  They
wanted to get grass roots politics to play a bigger role in the party
leadership.  Presumably, after they were to vote in accordance with
the popular vote from their constituency, if there were a deadlock,
they would then be expected to act like party leaders.

They may have to fulfill their roles in Denver.

Dave

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Herb Parsons <hparsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:
> How would they be useful, if they were just supposed to vote the way the
> popular vote goes?
>
> Actually, if the superdelegates stay out of the race until the primary
> this time around, there would be that "stalemate", neither side would
> have enough votes for the win. It's because the "might" vote the way
> they want instead of along the lines of the popular vote that the issue
> is coming up at all.
>

> David Bradley wrote:
> > No idea what the stated purpose is of super delegates, but would
> > imagine they would be useful in a stalemate situation at the national
> > convention.
> >
> > Just learned the caucus process this year in Washington state - pretty
> > interesting to see grass roots politics roll up to the legilative
> > district level (I was a Clinton delegate in round 2).  Amazing how
> > consistent the vote was from our neighborhood to the district in the
> > context of overall state results.  Amazing also to see every nutcase
> > show up to try to inject something into the platform (plenty of
> > nutcases in both parties).
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Herb Parsons <hparsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:
> >
> >> In a recent article, Dick Morris wrote:
> >>
> >> "The Democratic superdelegates aren't about to risk a massive and
> >> sanguinary civil war by taking the nomination away from the candidate
> >> who won more elected delegates. If they ever tried it, we'd see a repeat
> >> of the demonstrations that smashed the 1968 Chicago convention and
> >> ruined Hubert Humphrey's chances of victory"
> >>
> >> That seems to be the prevailing attitude among Democrats, that the
> >> "superdelegates" should vote the way their popular vote goes. These
> >> superdelegates are NOT the same as the electoral college
> >> representatives, they are independent delegates.
> >>
> >> So, my question to the Dems out there, if they are should only vote the
> >> way the popular vote went, what's their purpose?

David Bradley
+1.206.234.3977
dwbrad at gmail.com