[Rhodes22-list] history of Rhodes 22 innovations by Mike Cheung

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Mon Apr 28 18:26:50 EDT 2008

Hi Mike,

Welcome, welcome...

The "when" of some of the R22 innovations has always been an interesting
subject.  You may be interested in reviewing the sales literature that I
saved from the time when I purchased my R22 (October '80) which I posted
last September
(http://www.nabble.com/Rhodes-22-Sales-Literature-from-1980-to12766685.html#a12766685)

The Options and Standards Price List show the "Inner Mast Furling with the
R-22 Sally-Sail Main...$1,995" which Stan was experimenting with when my R22
was delivered in March '81.  The "new" motor mount was a 6:1!  Even a
self-contained marine head was listed for $135, although not a "stand-up"
design.

It was a glorious time for invention, innovation, a bit of salesmanship (and
a little "vaporware") but the bottom line is that the boat, motor and
trailer are still in use (with some rebuilding and maintenance) as I enter
the 28th season with my R22!!  Just look at what you got in 1981 for less
than $15K before Stan moved to NC!!

One thing has remained constant all these years, I still don't even think
about the cost of fuel for the boat, even though it has increased nearly
800% since the early 80's!  If I burn 10 gallons in a season, it's a lot.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Mike Cheung" <mikecheung at att.net>Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 4:36 PM