[Rhodes22-list] Marinas, sailboats, and price of gas -- a good day!

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Apr 29 15:53:35 EDT 2008

Some may remember that last fall, I reported
that a local marina manager told me that I
would not be welcome to dry-slip and launch
my sailboat in 2008 -- for security reasons.

I suspected that it was a matter of gasoline
sales (I buy none there) and the loss of
"valet fees" that they charge to have your
boat pulled from their barn and put in the
water.

Yesterday, on a hunch, I called the manager
of the company that owns the aforementioned
marina, and laid out the situation -- that I
was an long-time customer and had never
given anyone there any reason to suspect
that I was a security risk.  He professed
surprise that I had been disinvited and said
that he would check up on it.

Will wonders never cease?!

He did call back and explained that they were
not accepting new launch customers, but that
he had discussed my case with the on-site
management of the marina in question, and I
was welcome to return.

Seems that their big power boat customers are
a bit slow to sign contracts this year...

So Little Dipper will be rigged and ready to
launch all summer while I work on my bigger
boat.  I need the room in the driveway.

Seems they want a second launch fee if I
launch (but do not dry-slip) a second boat.
I can live with that for now.  There is a free
launch nearer the house, and I want to keep
Edith P. at the house while work progresses.

During the summer I'll be checking out the 5
other marinas on the lake to see what kind of
a deal I can put together.

/Robert