[Rhodes22-list] history of Rhodes 22 innovations by Mike Cheung

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Tue Apr 29 09:11:30 EDT 2008

Very interesting literature!  Those look, of course, like great prices now.
>From the interior plan drawing, the head appears to be open to the V-berth
and only partially "private" from the rest of the cabin.  Is that right?  It
looks as if the nifty fully enclosed head came sometime after 1980.  Anyone
know when GBI started offering that?  It's pretty much on my wife's "must
have" list for a boat.

Mike Cheung

Hi Mike,

Welcome, welcome...

The "when" of some of the R22 innovations has always been an interesting
subject.  You may be interested in reviewing the sales literature that I
saved from the time when I purchased my R22 (October '80) which I posted
last September
(http://www.nabble.com/Rhodes-22-Sales-Literature-from-1980-to12766685.html#a12766685)

The Options and Standards Price List show the "Inner Mast Furling with the
R-22 Sally-Sail Main...$1,995" which Stan was experimenting with when my R22
was delivered in March '81.  The "new" motor mount was a 6:1!  Even a
self-contained marine head was listed for $135, although not a "stand-up"
design.

It was a glorious time for invention, innovation, a bit of salesmanship (and
a little "vaporware") but the bottom line is that the boat, motor and
trailer are still in use (with some rebuilding and maintenance) as I enter
the 28th season with my R22!!  Just look at what you got in 1981 for less
than $15K before Stan moved to NC!!

One thing has remained constant all these years, I still don't even think
about the cost of fuel for the boat, even though it has increased nearly
800% since the early 80's!  If I burn 10 gallons in a season, it's a lot.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY