[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising question

chetc cclocksin at buckeye-express.com
Tue Apr 29 16:17:50 EDT 2008

Hi gang,

Please read the following (which I found in the archives) and tell me if you
think this is truly do-able on a boat with the Inner Mast Furling. It almost
sounds too good to be true...

"RAISING THE MAST has been made easy on trailerable boats because the base
of the mast slips into some sort of hinge system. But in some boat designs
the mast is not positively bolted to the hinge or has to be held at an angle
to clear the hatch to fit the hinged step. The experience of a mast flying
free while trying to raise it, makes me appreciate the positive bolted
system(that starts at rest)of the RC. Many boats do not have the shrouds
positioned to prevent the mast from falling sideways while moving thru the
raising arc. And invariably the mast can only be raised forward by standing
in the cockpit to get leverage while sacrificing height, or standing on the
cabin roof to get height while sacrificing leverage.
But what if the mast were raised backwards and the upper shrouds were in
line with the pivoting base of the mast? Then you could stand on the
foredeck(higher than the cockpit) and at the bow (more leverage than on the
cabin roof) and one person could handle it with continuous sideways support
from the shrouds. If the doctor says not to exert yourself even this much,
then, with the boom attached to the mast, the halyard to the end of the
boom, and the main sheet in its normal configuration, you have -a built-in
mechanical advantage hoist that will let you delegate mast raising to almost
anyone.
This is how the RHODES 22 does it. The backward approach is made possible by
an extra set of lower shrouds that fasten forward of the mast. Stability is
provided by upper shrouds to chain plates in line with the mast’s pivoting
plane.
Few other makes have double lowers so their masts can not be raised aft. The
few brands that do have double lowers fail to offer a hinge that allows
backward raising."

So, the question is, is it truly easier to lower the mast forward/raise the
mast rearward? and does it work well to use the boom as a gin pole and use
the main sheet tackle for mechanical advantage?

Yes, I know I can purchase an expensive mast crane that may be the ultimate,
but I really shouldn't need it if the above works. Right?

As always, your opinions and experience are most appreciated.

chet