[Rhodes22-list] Mast raising from a beginner

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at nyu.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:30:09 EDT 2008

Chet

I had to chime in on this one.

I want to share with the list how I did almost EVERYTHING wrong last
Sept while taking down my mast for only the second time, the first
time being with the help of a yard's fork lift to hold the mast while
I undid the stays.

First it was threatening to rain, but I insisted on taking it down.
Second, I did not use the extensions for the forward inner shrouds.
Third I actually LOOSENED the turnbuckles too much BEFORE we began
cranking down the mast!!

With my friend at the stern and I at the winch on the foredeck we
still gingerly brought the mast down into its crutch safely.

The next time I will know to use the extensions for the forward
shrouds and never loosen the shrouds that much.
Lou