[Rhodes22-list] Contest!

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Sat Aug 2 09:03:22 EDT 2008

Art,

I think that you missed my point when I responded as follows to Ed:
    "Isn't it bad enough that GBI made such a long lasting boat that it may
    go out of business waiting for repeat business?  Now you want to
chastise
    Stan for choosing Triad to make his trailer?  They may be rusty, they
may
    be 30 years old, but they are still safely transporting an R22!"

I was not predicting a demise of GBI but rather making an observation that
the trailer, like the boat it carries, was overbuilt by traditional
marketing standards.  Most modern industries attempt to limit the life of
their products to encourage replacement business in a decade or less, rather
than build the longest lasting product possible.

It is an unfortunate consequence of such designs that the financial rewards
of manufacturing are tied to quantity and not quality.  As long as there are
enough customers who appreciate the design of the R22 and wish to own the
best product available, GBI will not go out of business.

Your point that many of us found GBI quite by accident is well taken.
Promotion of GBI is something that Stan has wrestled with for many years.
Recently, he has certainly taken steps to increase the exposure of the R22
through a certification program and the recognition by major sailing
magazines through articles.  GBI has outlasted many of its competitors
mostly by concentrating on improving the design and production of a single
boat in a niche market.

Helping GBI "get the word out" or trying to expand their product line may
not be the best thing that we can do to assist Stan and company.  While I am
always quick to suggest that a person interested in sailing take a look at
an R22, the best way that some of us can help is to respond to questions on
"da list."  Attempting to second guess Stan's marketing may not help his
efforts.  We all know that a successful manufacturer needs a good customer
service department and Stan refers the questions here.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Arthur H. Czerwonky" <czerwonky at earthlink.net>Sent: Friday, August