[Rhodes22-list] Muireann swims!

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Mon Aug 4 12:15:06 EDT 2008

We spent yesterday afternoon out on Muireann after launching from Edgewater
Park on the near west side of Cleveland's lakefront.  The launch ramps are
pretty close to ideal except they're heavily used.  Even so, we had no
particular difficulty fitting into the launch or retrieve mix.  A fair
number of powerboats passed us up in the launch line while we rigged the
boat.  It took just about an hour.  It was my second time rigging and the
Admiral's first.  Takedown and rigging for the road took about the same.

Here's a shot of the Cleveland skyline from outside the breakwall just after
we got underway heading east

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0003.jpg

Here's the Admiral, Mary, at the helm

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0005.jpg

And yours truly at the helm

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0012.jpg

and one last shot of the Cleveland skyline as we were headed back toward the
ramps sailing just past Cleveland eastbound and turning back

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0013.jpg

This last image forms the basis for one of a couple questions I have for the
group.  There are two possible ways of mounting the bimini.  One, as we did
yesterday, has the continuous frame piece forward and the two jointed frame
sections aft.  The other would be just the opposite.  Is there a right way?

Second, when retrieving Muireann, at a comparatively steep ramp, the bow met
the trailer post right at the winch at about the level of the rubrail, just
below.  After strapping to the winch and tightening, Muireann ended up about
10 inches back of the winch once pulled from the water (slowly, just like
the GB folks told us).  My question is whether anyone has rigged protection
for the bow from possible scrapes and bangs from the winch?  It looks like
Stan and company may be working on something, but I'd like to rig at least
an interim solution ASAP and am looking for ideas.  I'm thinking a piece of
carpet covered plywood with a slot cut for the bow eye and some sort of way
to secure it to the lower anchor mount would be a good start.

Mike Cheung .... s/v Muireann 93/04/08 Rhodes 22