[Rhodes22-list] pop top falling on new Rhodes 22

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Mon Aug 4 20:29:26 EDT 2008

Paul,
I did what Slim suggests for a couple years.  Then I took
the slider to the hardware store and found a stainless washer that fits
around the pin and into the spring seat.
I think the spring seats
at an angle due to wear or the way the hole is drilled into the slider.
This causes the spring to bind between the pin and the side of the hole,
thus not fully plunging the pin into the mast hole.  With the washers,
both sliders pop into place and stay there.
Rick
> Paul,

> I've had that happen. The pin that holds the slider
in place is
> spring-loaded so you just raise it up and it clicks
into place. We
> learned,
> however, that we have to
push it in a bit more once it's there. The
> spring

alone doesn't push it all the way home. Since we learned this, we've
> never
> had it fall down again.
>
> Slim

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Daniel Snyder
> <dancsnyder at comcast.net>wrote:
>
>> My
Lady Grace was built new and delivered by Elton in 2006. My pop top
>> problem is exactly the opposite of yours....I can't raise
it...something
>> is jamming. Stan has given me some ideas
that involve disassembling the
>> top and bars underneath but
I haven't had the chance yet to take it
>> apart. Can't
imagine what happened...the first two seasons it worked

perfectly. Dan in NH

>> Paul Krawitz wrote:
>> > Have any of you experienced the pop top
sliderspontaneously plunging
>> down?
>> > On
one occasion
>> > it occurred during furling the mainsail.
But on another
>> > occasion, it happened while heading
downwind, with
>> > wind coming from starboard transom and
both sails
>> > widely out to port.
>> >
>> > Other than putting a safety quick release pinbelow the pop
top slider,
>> do
>> > you have any
suggestions?

>> > I told Stan I thought
the pin, with only 1/4" inside the boom,
>> > was too
short. And I never had this issue with my circa
>> > 1981
Rhodes.