[Rhodes22-list] Muireann swims!

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Mon Aug 4 20:31:03 EDT 2008

Nice, Mike.
Wave next time you get near the breakwall East
Light.
Rick

> We spent yesterday afternoon out
on Muireann after launching from
> Edgewater
> Park on
the near west side of Cleveland's lakefront. The launch ramps are
> pretty close to ideal except they're heavily used. Even so, we had
no
> particular difficulty fitting into the launch or retrieve
mix. A fair
> number of powerboats passed us up in the launch
line while we rigged the
> boat. It took just about an hour. It
was my second time rigging and the
> Admiral's first. Takedown
and rigging for the road took about the same.

> Here's
a shot of the Cleveland skyline from outside the breakwall just

after
> we got underway heading east

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0003.jpg

Here's the Admiral, Mary, at the helm

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0005.jpg

And yours truly at the helm

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0012.jpg

and one last shot of the Cleveland skyline as we were headed back toward

> the
> ramps sailing just past Cleveland eastbound and
turning back

http://www.nabble.com/file/p18814437/PICT0013.jpg

This last image forms the basis for one of a couple questions I have for

> the
> group. There are two possible ways of mounting
the bimini. One, as we
> did
> yesterday, has the
continuous frame piece forward and the two jointed
> frame
> sections aft. The other would be just the opposite. Is there a
right
> way?
>
> Second, when retrieving
Muireann, at a comparatively steep ramp, the bow
> met

the trailer post right at the winch at about the level of the rubrail,
> just
> below. After strapping to the winch and tightening,
Muireann ended up
> about
> 10 inches back of the winch
once pulled from the water (slowly, just like
> the GB folks told
us). My question is whether anyone has rigged
> protection
> for the bow from possible scrapes and bangs from the winch? It
looks like
> Stan and company may be working on something, but
I'd like to rig at least
> an interim solution ASAP and am
looking for ideas. I'm thinking a piece
> of
> carpet
covered plywood with a slot cut for the bow eye and some sort of
> way
> to secure it to the lower anchor mount would be a
good start.

> Mike Cheung .... s/v Muireann 93/04/08
Rhodes 22