[Rhodes22-list] pop top falling on new Rhodes 22

KUHN, LELAND LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Aug 5 09:44:50 EDT 2008

Paul,

Good advice from Joe.  My pop-top fell a couple of times while underway
and although nothing broke, it scared the poopdeck out of me.  Sometimes
my springpin will click into place but not be in far enough to keep the
thing from jarring loose.  Once the pin clicks into place, I now move
the front of the pop-top up and down a little until the pin springs in
completely, then I hang from it to ensure it won't fall.

When the pop-top is up, I never close the hatch for fear that I might
forget to open it prior to lowering the pop-top.  I did that once and
the hatch slid down with an unbelievable amount of force.  Didn't break
anything on the boat or my body but certainly raised my heartbeat.

While on the subject of bodily harm, more than once I've scraped my shin
on the bottom of the companionway hatch while exiting the cabin.  More
than once I've bumped my head on the rear edge of the pop-top while
entering the cabin.

Only once did I get slapped hard in the face with a piece of steel
rigging.  I think it's called a block--it's the wheel thingy that's
attached to the mainsail clew that the outhaul runs through.  When you
furl in the main, you want a slight tension on it so it furls into the
mast smoothly, but just as important so the clew isn't flapping around
and smacking you in the face.  It hurts, a lot.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease
Kent Island, MD