[Rhodes22-list] Real ID and Montana

Robert Skinner Robert at SquirrelHaven.com
Wed Aug 6 21:55:21 EDT 2008

..Quote of the Day:..

"Do you want our government to have the ability to track where you
went, how you went, how you got there and when you got home? It would
be naïve for someone to think this information will not be abused in
the future. Virtually every decade these kinds of files have been used
to violate people's privacy.."

– Brian Schweitzer, Governor of Montana

Subject: Chertoff threatens governor, governor threatens Chertoff

We knew that the state of Montana was resisting the REAL ID Act, but
we just learned some of the details of that resistance. The story is
so good we had to share it, in case you hadn't heard . . ..

Brian Schweitzer, the governor of Montana, wrote a letter to Homeland
Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. The letter informed Chertoff that
Montana would not be complying with the REAL ID Act. Our quote of the
day supplies one of the reasons for Governor Schweitzer's rebellion.

Secretary Chertoff called Governor Schweitzer and threatened him.
Chertoff told Schweitzer that Montana residents would be banned from
airplanes, or subjected to severe, time-consuming inspections at
airports..

The Governor countered with his own threat, "How about we both go on
60 Minutes a few days after the DHS starts patting down Montana
driver's license-holders who are trying to get on the planes and both
of us can tell our side of the story.."

Chertoff didn't like that suggestion. He said, "I see the problem. We
need to get this fixed.."

So far, the "fix" involves granting Montana and all other rebellious
states an extension of the deadline for complying with the REAL ID
Act. But the real fix is to repeal REAL ID..

Have you protested to your elected representatives that the Secretary
of Homeland Security has been threatening the citizens of states that
don't comply with REAL ID? If not, please do so. You can mention the
Chertoff-Schweitzer exchange in your personal comments. Ask Congress
to repeal the REAL ID Act.. You can send your message here..

If you've sent a REAL ID Act message recently, consider sending
another "I am not afraid" message. We have a lot of new people who
probably aren't familiar with our "I am not afraid" campaign.. You can
check it out here..

Please also consider making a donation to further our work.. You can
do so here..

Thank you for being a part of the growing Downsize DC army..

Jim Babka

President

DownsizeDC. org, Inc