[Rhodes22-list] depth finder mount / nav options .... was: how big is your ....

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Fri Aug 8 09:22:52 EDT 2008

Mary Lou,

Ah, thought that might be what it was.  Good to know that works out.  We
haven't added depth (or speed or anything other than heading) yet.  So far
we've been playing in Lake Erie and, well, depth is not really much of an
issue even though it is the shallowest of the Great Lakes; pretty much if
you've run aground, you've run ashore, at least given what an R22 draws.
I'm still not sure what we're likely to add for navigation/depth.  I was
looking at some of the Garmin units, but can get nearly the same
functionality from a navigation standpoint, perhaps better, using Seaclear
(which is free) and the NOAA BSB format charts (which are also free; well
since they come from the gov't I prefer to think of it as "prepaid") and
using the same tablet PC and GPS "hockey puck" that I use in our plane.  I
haven't had that set up out yet, but will give a try soon.  Of course, the
tablet PC would probably sit on the galley as a navigation station of sorts
rather than out in the cockpit, but that should serve just fine.  And I
don't think I can display NEXRAD data from XM using Seaclear, though I
understand there may be commercial packages that would let me do that.
There are Garmin units with GPS nav, depth, and XM weather.  I was thinking
that if I did the Garmin I might use the cockpit table post and custom a
mount for it and a couple of drink holders.  We'll see.  There's no rush,
right now we pretty much are sailing in waters we know and in good weather.

If you haven't played with Seaclear, it's pretty neat.  The link to it is

http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

and the link to the free NOAA charts is

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartServerV2.0/jsp/index.jsp?type=BSB

Even if one doesn't use it for navigation, it is a great way to have the
charts handy on your PC for planning.  (Sorry, I don't know how to paste
those as hyperlinks on Nabble)

Mike C. s/v Muireann 93/04/08 R22