[Rhodes22-list] Alice about your motor...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Aug 11 17:35:52 EDT 2008

Alice, the fact that the motor starts and wants to run at full speed is a
good indication.  My first thought is never work on the engine over water
when you have a real problem.  Sorry, but that means lifting it off somehow.
I recall that you do not have a trailer.  Do any of the other Rhodies in
your area have a trailer to get your boat out of the water so you can safely
get motor off?

Does your marina have a crane device to take outboard motors off.  Big
marinas with lots of boats with outboards often do.

Two important things have been mentioned:  [1] fuel filter and [2] choke.
Does your motor have manual or automatic choke.  Do you have a owners
manual?  Does manual have any information about fuel filter?

Post the model number of your motor.  We have several Rhodies, like Mike W,
Rummy, and others who know how to find manuals on line.  Once we have that
information we can study manual to help you.  I hate to fool with boat
motors without a manual, but good mechanics can procede without one for
basic trouble shooting.

The suggestion by John S., I believe about spraying all possible pivot
points is very good suggestion.  Also all these recent post about spider
webs might lead me to make sure all little springs are clean.  Some springs
do not look like slinkyies.  They are metal things that change shape as they
warm up.  Occassionally used used in chokes.

Ask Lee to come over and help.  Offer him large cold beer.  Rummy has a
friend who is very good with motors who works at my marina.  I will let you
figure out how to get motor to him.  Yea, I know, lots of help.

Again, keep the information coming, we might collectively be able to help,
even though we are not their.  Do you have a lap top computer with camera?
Post live video to Utube.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA