[Rhodes22-list] Opinion on the Pickens Plan - non sailing, non political, educational

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 09:42:40 EDT 2008

Mike,

Since you were/are kinda/sorta in the neighborhood, were any of your EOR
projects in the Illinois Basin Field, specifically the Salem-Louden
anticline?  I grew up at the edge of that field and have watched it go
through several price and research cycles (it was a former Exxon research
project for water flood).  The dumbest investment move I ever made was
walking away from a lease in late 2003 because the seller and I couldn't
negotiate the last $6000.  He still owns the lease and must be having a good
laugh at my expense every month the check arrives!

You are 100% correct on the political angle, that's how we got corn based
ethanol.  Whether we open E&D for shale oil or coal for a Fischer-Tropsch
conversion process (including the 1.7 million acres of high-yield coal in
Utah taken off the market), we'll need energy to produce energy, ie, nukes.

Four dollars a gallon gasoline seems to be the psychological and economic
tipping point for US citizens - or perhaps a world conflict that makes
transportation fuel unavailable at any price.  Let's hope it doesn't go that
far.

Brad