[Rhodes22-list] Opinion on the Pickens Plan - non sailing, non political, educational

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Thu Aug 14 10:25:08 EDT 2008

Nah, my work is unrelated to EOR though the basic science overlaps
considerably; which is why I knew so many folks in the EOR community in the
early 80's.  There was a huge effort going on that basically had the plug
pulled as oil prices dropped to about $15/barrel in the mid 80's and looked
like they would stay there awhile ... which they did.  My better half worked
for BP at that time in refining technology development and their main focus
was finding cost savings so the corporation could survive on $15/barrel oil.
Part of that survival from a corporate standpoint at BP and most of the
other major oil companies was to pretty much get out of the enhanced oil
recovery research business.

The rest of the crowd may wonder why EOR is potentially such a big deal.
When an oil field is "done" using conventional oil recovery there is still
somewhere in the neighborhood of 50% to 70% of the oil still left in the
ground.  By using various techniques, anywhere from half of that oil to
nearly all of it can be recovered, but it is: (a) not easy and (b) not
cheap.  The magic number back in the 80's was $50/barrel oil; at that price
many of the advanced techniques became economically viable.  Obviously the
magic number is now higher since 20 to 30 years have passed.

My earlier point, admittedly bordering on a rant, was that good research,
especially on fairly hard problems, takes time and a community of
researchers working on it.  What we did with EOR in particular and energy in
general was go from 100+% effort in the mid 70's to early 80's to very
nearly zero effort from the early 80's to today when suddenly it's 100+%
effort again because gasoline broke $4/gallon.  Naturally the community of
energy researchers from the earlier 100+% effort period are now retired,
dead, or long ago moved on to other work that they could find support for.

What we need, I hate to say, is a sustained period of sufficiently expensive
energy so that we can sustain serious energy research for a long time.  Then
there is hope for real progress.  It would admittedly be better if "cheap"
oil returned, but we nonetheless made a long term commitment to energy
research (EOR, solar, nuclear, bio ...).  However, business economics (i.e.
next quarters profits and share price), politics (what's the crisis du
jour?), and human nature (if it's cheap now why worry about tomorrow?) make
it unlikely that would happen.  So the pain is unfortunately necessary and
I, for one, hope fervently that it continues at a high enough level to keep
us focussed, but a low enough level that it doesn't kill us.

Mike C.