[Rhodes22-list] Joe Babb Said

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Aug 19 08:10:45 EDT 2008

Joe Babb said, "I drove through Port St. Joe a few weeks ago, there was a
horrible odor from what looked
like some sort of chemical plant."

As far as I know, the St. Joe Paper Company still exists.  However, it has
brought its operations in Port St. Joe into compliance with emission
standards.  I do know having visited the town over the last 3o+ years that
its foot print is substantially smaller.
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/St-Joe-Paper-Company-Company-History.html

However, it had more than one paper mill there, and I suspect at least on is
still in operation.  However, the last few times I was there, at least you
can breath going thru town.

It used to have major port opertions south of U.S. 98(?) main road thru
town.  That has been substantially cleared and turned into a nice
recreational marina. While there are some sailboats at marina, it is
primarily a place for fishing type boats for the Gulf.
http://www.psjmarina.com/

The marina itself uses a lift.  There are public ramps east and west of
town.

Keep in mind that St. Joseph's Bay is generally shallow.  Not too shallow
for a Rhodes 22 if you are interested.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA