[Rhodes22-list] the smell of Port St. Joe ?

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 21:11:37 EDT 2008

Joe,
I think I can help you out.  I used to sell chemicals to St. Joe Paper back in the early-80's but that mill closed down years ago.  I thought it was dismantled by now and St. Joe Corp is now a real estate development company.  I also used to sell to a chemical plant in town that is still called Arizona Chemical.  Used to be owned by Int'l Paper, maybe still is but I'm not sure.  They take a pulp mill by-product called tall oil and fractionate it into various fatty acids for sale.  Shitty business, but somebody has to do it.  I suspect what you smelled was the Arizona Chemical plant who takes tall oil from pulp mills in the area (Panama City, Perry, Pensacola etc) and refines it into useable, saleable products.
Bob K> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 07:40:55 -0400> From: joe.babb at comcast.net> To: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] the smell of Port St. Joe ?> > Help me solve a debate. I had heard on this list that the paper mill in > Port St. Joe closed. Also I had heard this from> a local friend here in Tennessee who likes to vacation on Cape San > Blas. But when Sharon and I drove through> Port St. Joe a few weeks ago, there was a horrible odor from what looked > like some sort of chemical plant.> My friend contends that I have lost my mind. I don't want to drive all > the way back to take pictures and air samples.> Can someone on the list help me out? What plant is it and what does it > produce that creates such a foul odor?> Thanks> Joe> __________________________________________________> To subscribe/unsubscribe or for help with using the mailing list go to http://www.rhodes22.org/list> __________________________________________________