[Rhodes22-list] sailing, boating in Florida question

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Aug 19 17:26:40 EDT 2008

At 05:09 PM 8/19/2008 -0400, Joe Babb wrote:
>Sharon and I are beginning to plan a week's sailing trip on the Florida
>gulf side for next March or April.  We were thinking
>of putting in at Apalachicola and maybe going to Carabelle.  The
>cruising guide we have touts the area as part of  the "nature coast".

I do not have a particular instance to report.  But I do know that
the Nature Coast area has come under greater scrutiny by DEA because
of its natural characteristics.  There are large stretches of
uninhabited coastline along this section of the Gulf Coast.  That
makes it easier for drug runners to zip in and unload shipments with
little chance of detection on land.  So, boats operating in shallow
water close to shore may get inspected more frequently.  'Specially
if your anchored for the night.

Cheers!

John Lock