[Rhodes22-list] sailing, boating in Florida question

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 08:33:03 EDT 2008

Hi Art,
We made a quick trip to Panama a few weeks ago (without boat
unfortunately) to check things out.  I had fond memories of Panama City
from a family vacation 30+ years ago.  Needless to say, things have
changed a bit.
We camped in St. Andrews State park in Panama and it was so hot that we
packed up a day early and headed west on
a road trip through Destin, Pensacola, and Mobile before turning up 65
to head home to Tennessee.  We were kind of
discouraged by the development of so many condos along the way.  I was
curious about that area because of an article I read
in "Sailing" magazine about "florabama".  The most interesting part of
the trip was an accidental siting and visit to a fishing museum in
Destin.  Destin must have been a really beautiful place once upon a time.
So we are looking at Apalachicola and the nature coast because it is
still relatively quiet.  Apalachicola River is really neat.
There's a great restaurant in Apalachicola that we like very much called
Verandas Bistro.  There is a marina on Scipio Creek off
Appalachicola River where I think we can leave our truck and trailer in
relative safety.
I've gotten charts 11402 and 11404 and have just started to study them
to see how far we can get at a leisure pace.
Joe