[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

Mike Cheung mikecheung at att.net
Fri Aug 22 08:57:56 EDT 2008

Not that this motivated me, but I did invest in two inflatable PFD/harness
vests and "leashes" from West Marine (made by Stearns).  Maybe not Mustang,
but they look pretty well made.  The local West Marine had them on clearance
as they're "last years models" according to the sales clerk.  They only had
one self inflater, got that for the Admiral, and I also got a manual
inflation model for me.

Was out single handing yesterday, first time for me in Muireann, and
borrowed the Admirals self inflater and kept myself  "leashed" to the stern
rail most of the time.   Hardest part about singlehanding was getting the
darned trailer extension set in the out position!  Dang thing is heavy and
if you're in position to reach the hole for the bolt you have no mechanical
advantage at all.  Had a lovely afternoon sailing alone off Avon in Lake
Erie.  Basically just went back and forth practicing tacking single handed
and heaving to.   With the 175 set to jib size, like for heaving to, tacking
was easy.  With it all the way out it was a little more dicey.

For the NE Ohio Rhodies ... there's a very, very nice ramp at Miller Road
and Lakeside in Avon Lake just west of Avon Point.  Not too steep, could
possibly launch w/o the extension except the rear tires would be wet.  It
has direct access to the lake from inside of a small breakwalled basin.
Only two ramps, but it wasn't very busy the two times I've been there so
far, though both have been weekdays.  Trailer parking lanes are long enough
that I didn't have to retract the extension to park my Honda Pilot and the
trailer.  There are real cleats on the dock so I could tie Muireann up
properly while I parked the car and trailer.  The City of Avon Lake runs it
and charges $5 to launch, but there are rest rooms, a rinse off shower,
rinse water for the trailer and boat, and they even have ice, cold pop
(machines), and bait available.  There's a small city owned beach adjacent
to the facility so you could bring a decent size group to give boat rides to
and they'd have something to do while you were out with others.   It's also
adjacent to a power plant, so you can't miss it coming back in from the
lake.

Mike Cheung s/v Muireann 93/08 Rhodes 22