[Rhodes22-list] Single Handing

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 01:44:18 EDT 2008

Mike,

A luff pad is simply a little extra bulk sewed into the luff of the jib.
Sometimes it's a foam strip sewn in or sometimes it's just sail cloth
doubled over itself.  It's almost the whole length of the luff, about 4"
wide at mid point half way up and tapering thinner at top and bottom.  The
idea is that when you reef in, the extra bulk wraps up the belly of the sail
more allowing for a flatter sail shape for higher winds.  It's especially
helpful for older sails that might be a bit blown out.  I added a luff pad a
few years ago and I like it a lot.

I've sailed Lake Superior and I'm glad you have respect "when the gales of
November come early" as chronicled in the epic Gordon Lightfoot song, "The
Rectum of Ella Fitzgerald."

Slim