[Rhodes22-list] Hempfest

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 00:13:28 EDT 2008

Eric,

I've probably told this story before in these environs but early in my job
with my current employer, I owned an Audi 4000 diesel (circa 1985) that was
a gussied-up Volkswagon with the same parts (only more expensive because of
the 4-rings on the grill).  We have stayed off-and-on at the Benson over the
years and this was one of the ON periods and my second son had just been
born, I was a new hire, and while we weren't "macraoni-and-cheese, Suave
shampoo" broke, we were pretty broke.  Lovely bride at the time bent a wheel
on the Audi and I couldn't find one anywhere in the free world other than
the dealer who had a wheel at $275.  So there I was in Portland, Oregon and
lo-and-behold a local junkyard has an Audi 4000 wheel for $75!  I take the
Squirrel or the Beaver or the Moose bus to the outskirts of town to the
junkyard. I pull off my belt and make a handle out of it to carry the wheel
back to the Benson and the doorman stops me.  "Sir, are your a guest here?"
"Yes".  "May I see your key?".  I put down the wheel and produce the key.
"Sir, is that a wheel?"  "NO, that my f^&*ing key chain, I get tired of
losing all the others!"

The Benson is still nice and has been for over a hundred years. Portland is
a wonderful city.  I don't belong there long term.

Brad