[Rhodes22-list] motor flushing/ non political

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Aug 28 00:38:07 EDT 2008

The old 2-cycles were never what I would call quiet.  I rarely use ours at
more than 1/2 throttle (every rattle and rail sings) and most of the time,
even less.  We make 3-4 knots at 1/3 throttle and that is generally quiet
enough to talk over without shouting, although one could not sleep with the
engine running.  I look at the R22 as a sailboat with an engine to be used
in the river (when behind the cliffs and out of the wind) or when the wind
goes somewhere else (or I am just too tired to tack back and forth.)  My
real concern is that the engine needs to be dependable.  Everything else
such as low noise, high speed, fuel efficiency, power generation, etc. is
just not as important.  I will keep this old 2-cycle going as long as
possible.

Mike
s/v Shanghaid'd Summer ('81)
       Nissequogue River, NY