[Rhodes22-list] Slim's Repairs .o.k., you win -- Alice W a reply about disconnecting fuel line

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Aug 28 14:30:13 EDT 2008

Slim,

O.K. you win.  You said, " The covers were put on as inspection ports so we
can open them up
again if needed."  You did not explain the complete purpose of the covers
for me the first time.  I buy your expanded explaination.

You win. I stand corrected.

Alice,

The problem of leaving fuel in carburator is that it 'evaportates', it does
not stay there forever.  It will not stay wet in there forever.  When it
evaportates, it leaves a gummy residue.  It is that residue that is gumming
up the orifice to combustion chamber.  When you run fuel out, then there is
nothing left to evaporate and leave a residue.

I learned this from two outboard mechanics on Wedesday, August 27 visiting
their shops and asking what is going on.  Since the orifices of four stroke
motors are smaller than two strokes the problem is first showing up in four
stroke motors.  However, they say it will happen in two stroke motors too.

The alcohol added to gas is apparently causing more of the gummy residues
referred to above because of its different solvent properties and causing
different and additional residues.

The fuel additives help reduce these issues.  Reread Michael W's. and other
posts regarding additives.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19206185/Behind%2Bme.jpg Behind+me.jpg

Michael,

I said picture...  it shows what they are taking about phase separation of
alcohol from gasoline.  That is what is happening and causing all the
issues.  That alcohol absorbs moisture further deteriorating into water,
solid gummy residue and from what I am told acids.

John,

Yes I saw the screws.  I believe that in many cases Stan made things the way
he did so that if there was an accident, the accident would not destroy the
boat.  And that any damage could easily be repaired.  I believe that the
orginal plates are glued to the walls with polyester resin, the same stuff
used to lay up the boat.

What those two screws mean is a 'hole' in the exterior cabin wall if it
happens again.  Epoxy used as a glue to fiberglass should hold without the
two screws.  Furthermore, when making repairs, a good glass man would have
saved the cut out piece and epoxy or glued it back in place.  Then filled
the remining holes and saw edges, faired and either gel coated or painted
over.  A good glass man can match colors quite closely.  What I am saying is
that the hole covering is a quick fix rather that a professional fix.  Maybe
he installed some back lights behind the piece.

The important thing is the boat is fixed.  Now maybe we can see pictures of
the Mississippi?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19204110/Press%2BBox.jpg Press+Box.jpg