[Rhodes22-list] bill?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Dec 4 13:12:30 EST 2008

Herb,
I don't believe that what Bill Clinton received from Monica Lewinski
constitutes "sleeping around".

Rummy

In a message dated 12/4/2008 12:42:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
hparsons at parsonsys.com writes:

Rik,

Bill Clinton is a prime example of what you're talking  about. There is
no doubt he was one of the most intelligent presidents  we've ever had.
There is also no doubt (in my mind) that he was one of the  worst.
Intelligence didn't bring enough common sense for him to understand  that
not only would fooling around with Monica be found out (he DID have a
track record), but that "sleeping with the help" is bad for ANY
organization, especially one where national security issues were at
stake. That was only one of the "common sense" issues that destroyed his
presidency.

Rik Sandberg wrote:
> Brad,
>
>   "Let's hope Ben is right and The One is surrounded by "The Best and
>  Brightest"
>
> I worry a bit about the amount of faith people put  in those fancy
> diplomas and credentials. Knowledge and wisdom are not  the same thing
> and no amount of book learning seems to guarantee an  increase in common
> sense. A good friend illustrated this for me the  other day when he
> asked; how many high school dropouts do you suppose  had a hand in
> creating this financial disaster we find ourselves in  today?
>
> It appears that common sense is not particularly  common, even among the
> "best and brightest".
>
>  Rik
>
> Will Rogers often said, "There's nothing quite like money  in the bank." He
went on to say, "I'm not so concerned about the return on my  money as I am
about the return of my money."

> [...]
>> Yamamato said whilst  steaming back to Japan, "we have awakened a
>> sleeping giant". Our  success throughout the 50's and most of the 60's
>> was largely the  result of the rest of the industrialized world being
>> left in  tatters from the aftermath of the war. Those countries that
>>  experimented with Marx and Engels discovered that centralized  economic
>> planning never works so our success came easy. As a  nation, we've
>> started to believe our own hype that our being on  top economically is
>> the natural order of the universe. Things have  changed.  Europe has
>> two huge economic problems they are  facing, socialization and
>> demographics.  China is facing huge  demographic problems in the next
>> few decades as well (one child  policy and an aging population) but
>> they've cast off ideas of  centralized planning have 20 years or so to
>> stuff the piggy bank  (my sister-in-law says 30).  We in this country
>> refuse to  face the most basic of problems.  The younger generation
>>  can't afford to fund the promises made to the Boomer generation -
>>  we'll either have to delay benefits, cut benefits, or raise SS  taxes
>> on younger workers. We've raised at least a couple of  generations of
>> entitlement minded workers. We have one of the most  un-competitive
>> corporate tax rates in the industrialized  world.  Historically, who
>> ever had the cheapest energy and  used the most energy was the most
>> productive.  We don't have  a comprehensive energy policy unless you
>> consider "you can't drill  here, you can't mine there" a policy.  You
>> are indeed  correct, this cycle may be long and it may be ugly.  Even
>> if  it made good economic and fiscal sense, an Obama led public works
>>  infrastructure program would take years to get started (think
>>  environmental impact studies, eminent domain lawsuits,  engineering,
>> etc - this ain't 1932). Isolationism and restraint of  trade won't work
>> any better now than it did for Hoover. At some  point in time, Obama
>> will have to level with the American people  and admit that he was a
>> gas-bag promise generator during the  campaign and now that he's in
>> office, here's the ugly reality and  here's what we're going to do
>> about it.  Short of that, he's  playing "musical chairs" and playing it
>> on the deck of the  Titanic. I'm not holding my breath for honest
>> answers. In the  meantime, most of the world's oil is still being
>> pumped by people  who don't like us, Russia is on another power trip
>> and using  energy as a weapon, crazed Islamists haven't suddenly quit
>> wanting  to kill us, etc.  Let's hope Ben is right and The One is
>>  surrounded by "The Best and Brightest" and this time they don't get  us
>> into the Bay of Pigs and Vietnam.
>>
>> Have  a nice day!
>>
>> Brad
>>
>> On Wed, Dec  3, 2008 at 10:48 PM, michael meltzer <mjm at michaelmeltzer.com>
 wrote:

>>> I here you, the bottom line is we do not "make things" any  more, any
when the world wakes up that they do not need the Americas it going  to be very
rough. The funny thing is from an economic standpoint we have  simulating like
all sh-t with the war effort. I am not sure "o" is going to  bring much more
to the table. Or if any policy in the short run will(like 1-2  years) This down
turn is going to last until people get tired of it(which  seems to cure them
all) or we get into a bigger war.   The other  issue is the underlying trends
are bad, many years ago I saw a very  interesting graph that plotted  Americas
by age/income producing by each  age group and compared it to the GDP. The
idea was that each person cost and  value to sociality and the relationship
changes based on age. By adding up all  the "cost and values" for everyone to form
a macro picture (and this was not  touchy feely numbers, simply what you cost
and what up make).   It  turned out to be a perfect almost correlation with
GDP. An using the methods  of any insurance actuarial the projection has the
curve shifting right about  now to a decreasing GDP